CUPPING AND THE SUNNAH
The prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said, "Whoever revives a Sunnah from my Sunnah and the people practise it, s/he will have the same reward of those who practise it without their reward diminishing…" [Sunan ibn Maajah (209)].
Throughout history it is well documented that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was a firm user and advocate of cupping therapy (hijama). There are a number of authentic hadiths which emphasise the benefits of cupping, some of the hadiths are referenced below:
- The Messenger (pbuh) said "Indeed in cupping (hijama) there is a cure." [Saheeh Muslim (5706)].
- Anas ibn Maalik (R.A) reported that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said “Whoever wants to perform cupping (hijama) then let them search for the 17th, 19th and 21st day (of the Islamic, lunar month)” [Sunan ibn Maajah (3486)].
- “For every disease there is a cure so if the medicine comes upon the disease it cures it by the will of Allah, The Most High” [Saheeh Muslim (2204)].
- The Messenger (pbuh) said, "Indeed the best of remedies you have is cupping(hijama)…" [Saheeh al-Bukhari (5371)].
- Anas bin Maalik (R.A), reported, "The Messenger of Allāh (pbuh) sent for a slave who had the profession of hijama, and he cupped him." [Saheeh al Bukhari (3.481)].
- The Messenger (pbuh) said that on the night of Israa (his ascension to the heavens) he did not pass by an angel except that it said to him, "Oh Muhammad, order your Ummah (nation) with cupping (hijama)." [Saheeh Sunan Tirmidhee (3479)].
- Abdullah ‘ibn Abbās (R.A), reported that the Messenger (pbuh) was cupped on his head for a one-sided headache while he was in Ihrām. [Saheeh al Bukhari (5701)].
- Abdullah ‘ibn Abbās (R.A) also reported that the Messenger (pbuh) was cupped while he was fasting [Saheeh al Bukhari (5694 and 5699)].
- Anas ‘ibn Maalik (R.A) was asked “Did you dislike cupping for the fasting person?” He said “No except for the reason of one becoming weak” [Saheeh al Bukhari (1940)].
- Abdullah ‘ibn Abbās (R.A) also reported that the Messenger (pbuh) took the treatment of hijama on both sides of his neck (on the carotid arteries) and between his shoulders, and generally took this treatment on the 17th, 19th or the 21st of the (lunar) month. [Tirmidhee (49.005/347)] and paid the cupper his fees. If it had been harām, he would not have paid for it. [Tirmidhee (49.003/345)].
- Anas ‘ibn Maalik (R.A) reported that the Messenger (pbuh) said “When the weather becomes extremely hot, seek aid in cupping. Do not allow your blood to rage (boil) such that it kills you”.
- Abdullah ‘ibn Abbās (R.A) reported that the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said “There is healing in three things; in the incision of the cupper, in drinking honey and in cauterising with fire, but I forbid my Ummah from cauterisation (branding with fire)” [Saheeh al Bukhari (5081), Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajahn (3491)].
- Jaabir ‘ibn Abdullah (R.A) reported that the Messenger (pbuh) was treated with cupping on his hip for a pain in that area, [Saheeh Sunanabi Dawud (3863)].
- Ibn Al Qaiyum (R.A) mentions that the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was cupped on the head when he was afflicted by magic and that it is from the best of cures for this if performed correctly [Zaad al Ma’aad (4/125-126)].
- Salma (R.A) the servant of the Messenger (pbuh) said “Whenever someone would complain of a headache to the Messenger of Allah (swt), he would advise them to perform hijama” [Saheeh Sunan abi Dawud (3858)].
Contact us for more information:
Dr. Sahdia Choudry (Female) – 07966 394443
Mr. Mohammad Ehsan – 07968 060874
Blackburn Cupping Clinic,
1 Blackburn Street, Blackburn,
Lancashire, BB1 7NG